The exclamation point is obviously falling out of favor in the general public. But, being lawyers and all, it’s now time to get on that bandwagon. If your legal writing these days seems a little dry and not quite ironic, saucy, or epic enough, there are ways to loosen things up to give your legal prose that extra oomph and attention it deserves. That is, in the coming months, liberally scatter exclamation points throughout your basic legal clauses.
For inspiration, here are some of our favorites. But feel free to add your own in the comments!
- I have received your letter dated September 20, 2016!
- Plaintiff is a citizen of the United States and resides in the County of Westchester, State of New York, which is in this judicial district!
- Each term and provision of this agreement shall be valid and enforceable to the fullest extent permitted by law!
- The geographic scope of this Agreement shall be Planet Earth! Provided, however, if a court determines such a geographic scope is unenforceable, it shall be the United States! Provided, however, if a court determines such a geographic scope is unenforceable, it shall be the City of Des Moines!
- ORDERED, ADJUDGED, AND DECREED!!
- Plaintiff incorporates and restates each of the above paragraphs as if fully set forth herein!
- Enclosed and served upon you please find defendant’s Answer!
- Being authorized to prosecute the offenses charged, I approve this Complaint!
- This matter came before the Honorable David R. Cruxton on March 3, 2015, upon defendant’s Motion to Compel!
- WHEREFORE, this Plaintiff claims ONE MILLION DOLLARS in damages!
- Respectfully submitted!
Originally posted on Bitter Lawyer. Flickr photo by Luciano Zanardo